Corn Beef and Cabbage which is also known as Bully Beef and Cabbage is one of those “lazy” one-pot Jamaican meals that is cooked when you are on the go. It is said to be a favorite of single men because of how easy it is to cook. Please be aware that the corn beef mentioned in this recipe is not the sliced corn beef that is typically seen in sandwich delis outside of the Caribbean but it is from a can. Jamaica and much of the English Speaking Caribbean call it bully beef. Enjoy our Bully Beef and cabbage recipe.
Source of the name Bully Beef (Wikipedia)- In the United Kingdom, corned beef refers to the variety made from finely minced corned beef in a small amount of gelatin (bully beef; from the French bouilli “boiled”), and is sold in distinctive oblong-shaped cans.
- 1 canned corned beef
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper diced and de-seeded (optional)
- A dash of black pepper (optional)
- Wash the cabbage then shred it
- Sauté the onion (stir so it does not stick)
- Add the shredded cabbage, tomatoes, black pepper water and stir.
- Cover saucepan and cook cabbage for about 7 minutes until tender.
- Add de-seeded scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- Add the corned beef (bully beef) . Use a big spoon to break-up the corned beef and stir with the other ingredients.
- Simmer for another 3-4 minutes
- Serve with any of these items: rice, avocado pear, boil banana, fried dumplings. You may also make sandwiches.
- Serves 3-4 persons .