Jamaican Chicken Pumpkin Soup is a traditional Saturday soup which is cooked in most households. Any part of the chicken can be used however the chicken back is often used because if is the most affordable. This is quick one-pot meal features pumpkins, carrots, yellow yam, Irish potatoes, cho cho and flour dumpling more. It is a quick and easy recipe to to follow. Feel free to let us know the outcome of the recipe.
- 3 qt. water
- 2 lb. chicken
- 1/2 lb. carrots, cubed
- 6 Pimento Seeds/Berries (Allspice)
- 1/4 lb. turnips, cubed
- 3 Garlic pegs crushed
- 1 lb. Pumpkin/Squash (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 lb. cho cho/Christophine (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 lb. yellow yam, cut up
- 3 sprig thyme
- 2 stalks escallion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 packet Jamaican chicken noodle or cock soup
- 1 Medium Irish Potato (optional)
- 3 stalks of celery diced (optional)
- 3 stalks of corn broken in half [optional]
- Boil chicken in 3 qts. water for 20 minutes with pumpkin, cho cho, pimentos, garlic and salt
- Cut up vegetables, yam and cho cho and add with the other ingredients to the pot
- Dumplings/spinner may be added if desired.
- Simmer for ½ hour until yam is cooked (soft but not mushy) and the soup is of a medium consistency.
- Serves 6