Jamaican Banana Porridge is a favorite of Jamaicans especially those from the rural areas on the island. If you grew up in the country you had this porridge at least once a week for breakfast. With an abundance of bananas available on farms in the rural areas of Jamaica makes this porridge was very cost-effective. Banana Porridge is packed with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that can provide a great energy kick to start your day. The porridge is also ideal for babies six-months-old and older. It is simple and easy to make. Here is our Simple Banana Porridge Recipe.
- 3 fingers of green bananas
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup flour (optional – used the thicken the porridge)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar or ¼ condensed milk
- ½ nutmeg to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Wash, peel and slice bananas
- Place in a blender with the 1 cup water and puree
- Add flour and salt. Mix well until smooth.
- Pour mixture into boiling water, stirring constantly to prevent lumping, stir until mixture thickens.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes, and add milk
- Sweeten to taste and add nutmeg and vanilla.
- Let it simmer over low heat for about 5 mins.
- Add sugar to taste and spices.
- Serve hot