Red peas (red kidney beans), stew beef, pig’s tail, coconut milk, hot pepper, spices combine for a hearty dish popular all over Jamaica.
- 2 cups red peas
- ½ lb salt beef
- 1 lb stew beef (you also can use pigstail if you like)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 stalk escallion
- 3 sprig thyme
- 2 cups coconut milk(or 1/4 box)
- 6 pimento seed
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- spinners (See Recipe Below)
- Boil and drain salt beef twice, in a medium size pan.
- Place peas, meat and garlic together in the pan, boil until peas are tender, about 1 ½ hour.
- Add coconut cream, spinners, and seasoning, cook for about an hour.
- Season to taste.
- Thicken the mix with 3 tablespoons of flour combined with 1/4 cup water. Strain the mixture into the stew.
- Boil until it thickens. Serve with rice
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Enough water to bind
- Place flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Work mixture with hands while adding enough water to bind, making a stiff dough.
- Roll into 1 inch long pieces, drop into boiling stew peas or soup.
- Boil until they float or add them during the last 20mins of the cooking process. Enjoy